Karpenisi, Evrytania, located in the foothills of the Velouchi Mountains in central Greece, partnered with Asheville in 2004. If you would like to learn more about Karpenisi or to find out how to get involved, please email the Committee Chair Andronikos Falangas at contact@ashevillesistercities.
Asheville Sister Cities in Karpenisi is in the news! Please check this link at Asheville Citizen Times
- Population 10,100
- Beautiful towering mountains, heavenly rivers, and fresh sycamore trees
- Participated in activities for the organization and execution of the World Congress in July. Members hosted delegates from Greece and Mexico.
- Planned and executed a fund raising “Greek Dinner” at the Mediterranean Restaurant ( thanks Pete and Paula Apostolopoulos for your donation of space, time and misc. food items). The event raised $2,030.00 and portion of that ($1,400.00) was used to assist delegates from Karpenisi with travel expenses to attend the World Congress.
- Participated in youth fund raising effort (pastry sale) at Haywood Park Hotel.
- Worked with our representative in Karpenisi, Leonidas Papadopoulos, to establish goals and objectives for 2006-2007.
- Work through Sister Cities International to supply five wheel chairs to Karpenisi residents in need.
- Establish a formal Sister Cities organization in Karpenisi (adapt by-laws, elect officers etc.)
- Plan and execute another fundraiser (most likely a “Greek Night”) with benefits going toward paying travel expenses for two teenagers from Karpenisi to attend the International Conference in Washington, D.C. or visit Asheville.
- Identify up to ten teenagers in Karpenisi that are interested in being involved in Sister Cities activities. Exchange E-mail addresses with teenagers in Asheville, Vladikavkaz, San Cristobal, and Saumur.
- Meet with the Mayor of Karpenisi and/or our representative in Karpenisi during their visit to Charlotte, NC in June. Invite them for a visit to Asheville. If time permits.